Made up some pollen substitute and put on my colonies today, as I need very strong colonies for my plan to increase the number of colonies from 4 to 8. I gave each one a 1lb “patty”. Looking on various websites I decided that the simplest formula was:
- 1.5Kg soya flour
- 500g brewers yeast
- 1Kg sugar
- 4.5Kg sugar syrup – made up 2:1 (3Kg sugar to 1.5Kg water)
Mixed up in a food processor in 2 batches. Seemed to come out at the right consistency, like a sticky bread dough. In order to make it easy to handle I spooned 450g into freezer bags and laid these on top of the frames after cutting out a slot covering most of one side.
The soya flour wasn’t low fat and had a fat content of 20%. As the various information sources I read recommend a maximum fat content of around 7% I decided that 4Kg of sugar would result in an overall fat content of around 5% and as there is no pollen in the mix the sugar content needs to be high, in this case around 55%. It will be interesting to see how much of the patties the bees consume. Previously with commercial substitutes I’ve had very mixed success – some colonies like it and others barely touched it.
The Indigo colony in my out apiary is the one that I didn’t treat with Oxalic acid and looks to be quite strong but low on stores. So I will try and feed it later this week.
Update – 5th March; fed Indigo with 8 litres of 2:1 syrup; which is probably a bit too much but decided to use a Miller feeder rather than a contact feeder as I’m not able to get to the out apiary site for a couple of weeks.
I think this year I will invest in a couple of pollen traps to build up a stock of pollen that I can use for next season’s spring feeding.